SELCRP projects in Wigan
We are proud to be working with Avanti West Coast to develop three community projects based in or around Wigan North Western station. These projects are:
- This project aims to improve the appearance and environment of the station by creating a mural covering a large area of the underpass
- The mural will be created by a professional artist who will be supported by volunteers and local arts groups
- The project aims to engage local communities and stakeholders in the development of the artwork, through an artistic brief on the theme of ‘History, Heritage, People and Places of the Wigan Borough’
- Members of the public will also be invited to nominate a ‘Wigan Hero’ to feature in the mural
- Press coverage ‐ https://www.wigantoday.net/news/people/new‐communitygroups‐plan‐for‐mural‐at‐wigan‐railway‐station‐3210708
- This project aims to create a linear footpath and cyclying trail from Wigan North Western to Bolton, linking local station and places of interest along the way
- The project seeks to focus on the area’s rich industrial and social history, and to promote local businesses such as cafes, pubs and shops along the route
- Through this we aim to raise awareness of local history and culture, and also address issues around health and wellbeing by promoting active travel through walking and cycling
Swan & Railway Meadow & Beehives
- This project aims to transform a piece of wasteland owned by Network Rail, situated behind the Swan & Railway Pub opposite Wigan North Western station, into a wildflower meadow with low growing fruit bushes and three beehives
- The beehives are intended to provide fresh, local honey, and also stimulate the development of a start‐up social enterprise to sell the produce
- The project aims to provide opportunities for partnerships and collaborations with multiple local stakeholders including community groups and charities, local businesses, commuters, station staff, and local authority organisations such as the library, schools & colleges.
For more information and updates please visit our social media pages for Wigan Community Rail
Station Friends/Adopters in the Wigan area
Friends of Hindley Station
- FOHS is an exemplary station adoption group who have undertaken extensive work including the creation of large platform gardens, installation of information boards, a community allotment and engagement with a range of local community groups, schools and charities.
- Volunteers regularly attend the station, and Sheila Davidson (Secretary of FOHS) has received numerous awards for her longstanding and consistent volunteering work both at the station and in the surrounding local community
- For more information please visit ‐ https://www.facebook.com/groups/395416078026114
Friends of Wigan Wallgate / Wigan Wallflowers
- Established in 2017, Wigan Wallflowers are a small group who maintain the platform gardens at Wigan Wallgate station, with Head Gardener John Parry attending the station regularly all year round.
- Friends of Wigan Wallgate exist to promote their local station and to make improvements both physically and in terms of services by lobbying for improvements.
- For more information please visit ‐ https://wgwwallflowers.wordpress.com/